The search for eco-friendly laundry detergent has been a long one! I have tried making my own with baking soda, grated soap and the like. They just didn't seem to work. I think maybe it's our hard water. I have also bought detergents. I was never convinced of the claims, they were expensive and didn't work as well as others.
I was so excited when Cleaner Planet gave me the chance to try out their soap nuts! I have heard of soap nuts but hadn't had the chance to try them yet. Do you know about soap nuts? They are actually a berry that grows on the Sapindus Mukorossi tree in parts of Asia. The berries have Saponin which is a natural sufactant (like soap). They leave little trace as well since soap nuts can be composted once used completely.
I have been using the soap nuts for about a month and couldn't be happier! Here are my top reasons.
- Our clothes are clean and smell fresh - not perfumy.
- I really like that I don't have to pour or measure out detergent! Such a silly little step, but it makes things easier.
- They work great in cold.
- I definitely was able to use the bag for 8 - 10 washes. I added the spent soap nuts to a cup and filed with boiling water. I then used the liquid for an additional few washes!
- They are cost effective. Assuming each 250 gram bag washes 100 loads, soap nuts will end up costing about 0.14 per load. If you order two 250 gram bags at once, this includes shipping costs! A quick search online for some of the popular traditional detergents yielded prices well over $0.20 per load.
I was afraid I would forget about the bag and it would end up in the dryer. For the first few weeks it always seemed to land at the bottom of the washing machine. But, one time it did make it into the dryer. FYI - they were fine. Whew!
If you would like to try soap nuts without committing too much, Cleaner Planet has a sample bag you can purchase for $1.99. It is good for 4 - 8 washes and comes with a $2 coupon towards your next purchase.
The Cleaner Planet is giving one Greening Of Westford reader a 250 gram bag of soap nuts (value $10). For the main entry, tell me one natural cleaner you already use. If you don't use any, tell me which one you would like to switch first. This one doesn't have to be done first but it does have to be done for all other entries to count.
This contest is only open to residents of the US and Canada, 18 years old or older. The contest will run from Thursday January 3, 2013 thru Thursday January 13, 2013 at 11:59 pm EST. The winner will be announced Friday January 14. The winner must reply within 48 hours or another winner will be chosen.
There are additional ways you can enter:
- Follow @GreeningWestfor on Twitter and leave your @name (1 entry)
- Like The Greening Of Westford on Facebook (1 entry)
- Subscribe by RSS to The Greening Of Westford (1 entry)
- Add my button to your blog (leave your site with your comment so I can stop by and say hi!) (2 entries, please leave 2 comments)
Separate comments must be left here for each additional entry!
Also, please include your email with comments or if you’d rather, after you leave your main entry comment, email me at thegreeningofwestford(at)gmail(dot)com so I will have a way of contacting you if you win. You will have 48 hours after I contact you to send me your info or else I will choose another winner.
UPDATE: The winner has been picked and notified. Congratulations Susan!
Disclosure: Cleaner Planet provided me with a complementary 250 gram of soap nuts for this product review. The opinions expressed are mine.